DTM's Expedition Reaches New Heights
The flag is a replica of the ones that accompanied DTM’s expeditions to study Earth and space, on both land and sea. It was registered with the U.S. Bureau of Navigation as the Carnegie Institution's “house flag” in 1909, and has been carried on many DTM-led field expeditions, including on the research vessel Carnegie, christened in 1909.
The Carnegie sailed the world’s seas in seven voyages to measure variations in Earth’s magnetic field on a global scale, including circumnavigating Antarctica in a single season in 1915-1916. Now, a century later, the Carnegie expedition flag is circling the Earth every 90 minutes aboard the International Space Station (ISS).
Mr. Thompson, whose generous donations have helped support DTM astrometric search of extra-solar planets, had the expedition flag included in the most recent ISS resupply mission that rode aboard Orbital ATK’s Cygnus spacecraft, launched from Wallops Flight Facility in Virginia on October 17 of this year. The astronauts on board the ISS were kind enough to photograph the flag on an ISS window, with the Earth in the background for scale.
The photographs provide a symbolic representation of the current scope of DTM’s research efforts that range from detailed studies of Earth’s interior to the detection of exo-planets and the study of the processes that form planets in our, and in other, solar systems.
Written by Rick Carlson, November 28, 2016
- - - - -